* 2 or 3 15 oz. cans white beans, drained (I use one can of large beans, and one can of small ones)
* ~ 3 cups chicken broth
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 Tbs olive oil
* 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch cubes
* 1 4 oz. cans diced green chiles
* OPTIONAL: 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 tsp ground cumin
* 1 1/2 tsp crushed dried oregano
* 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add oil and, when hot but not smoking, add onions and sauté until tender.
3. Stir in chicken and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked.
4. Add green chiles, carrots, garlic, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes and stir until well combined.
5. Add chicken broth and white beans
6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until flavors are well blended.
7. Add more water or stock, if needed.
8. Serve warm, garnished with sour cream, cheddar cheese and salsa, if desired.